Barrow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Great Barrow and Little Barrow.
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1572
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1596
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARROW, a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire; on a stream which goes northward to the Mersey, 3½ miles S of Dunham r. station, and 5 ENE of Chester. It includes the townships of Great Barrow and Little Barrow; and has fairs on 22 June and 22 Dec.: and its Post Town is Tarvin, under Chester. Acres, 2,916. Real property, £4,951. Pop., 623. Houses, 118. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £263. Patron, Lord H. Cholmondeley. The church is early English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school built in 1865, and charities £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BARROW (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Great Boughton, Second division of the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of Chester, 4½ miles (E. N. E.) from Chester; containing 668 inhabitants. This place consists of Great and Little Barrow. It was given by Ranulph, Earl of Chester, to his nephew William de Albini, Earl of Arundel. The two manors were at a later period possessed by the Despencers, and, after their attainder, were granted by Edward III. to Sir Roger de Swinerton, an heiress of whose family brought them, in marriage, to Sir John Savage, who was knighted by Henry V. at the battle of Agincourt. They afterwards came to the noble family of Cholmondeley. The parish comprises 2774 acres, the soil of which is sand and clay, the ground is elevated, and there is a fine view of the city of Chester, with the Welsh hills in the distance. The road from Chester to Northwich passes on the south. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £19. 16. 2½., and in the gift of Lord H. Cholmondeley: the tithes have been commuted for £460, with a house. A school is endowed with about £6 per annum. Here was a commandery of the Knights Hospitallers, founded in the reign of Henry II., and valued at the Dissolution at £107. 3. 8.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 – Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 – Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 – Chester
- Rural Deanery: Chester
- Poor Law Union: Great Boughton
- Hundred: Eddisbury
- Province: York