Backford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Mollington Tarrant, Millington Tarrant, Lea near Chester, Lea by Backford, Lea, Great Mollington, Great Millington Tarrant, Chorlton by Backford, and Caughall.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1581
- Chester Holy Trinity
- Chester St Oswald
- Great Stanney
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BACKFORD, a township and a parish in Great Bough ton district, Cheshire. The township lies on the Ellesmere canal, 1 mile NE of Mollington r. station, and 3½ N of Chester. Acres, 749. Real property, £1,271. Pop., 150. Houses, 29. The parish includes also the townships of Lea, Canghall, Chorlton-by-Backford, and Mollington-Tarrant or Great Mollington; and its Post Town is Chester. Acres, 3,109. Real property, £4,582. Pop., 525. Houses, 88. The property is divided among a few. Backford Hall is the seat of the Gleggs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £230. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church has monuments of the Birkenheads and the Morgalls. Charities, £26.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Wirral
- Poor Law Union: Great Boughton
- Hundred: Broxton; Wirral
- Province: York