Audlem is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Dodcott cum Wilkesley, Tittenley, Newhall, Hankelow, Wilksley, Dodcot cum Wilkesley, Buerton near Nantwich, and Buerton.
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1557
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1579
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, General Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
- Adderley, Shropshire
- Norton in Hales, Shropshire
- Woore, Shropshire
- Ash, Shropshire
- Moreton Say, Shropshire
- Ightfield, Shropshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
AUDLEM, a township in Nantwich district, Cheshire, and a parish chiefly in that district, and wholly in that county, but partly also in the district of Market-Drayton The township lies on the Nantwich and M. Drayton railway, 6 miles S of Nantwich; and has a st. on the railway. a post office under Nantwich, and fairs on 24, 25, 26 July and 28 Nov. Acres, 2,358. Real property, £7,186. Pop., 1,510. Houses, 344. The parish includes also the townships of Buerton, Hankelow, and Tittenley. Acres, 10,525. Real property, £14,092. Pop., 2,287. Houses, 505. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported. Patron, Lord Combermere. The church is good, There are five dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £40 a year, and charities £292.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
AUDLEM (St. James), a parish, in the union and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the county of Chester; comprising the townships of Audlem, Buerton, Hankelow, and Tittenley, part of Dodcot cum Wilkesley, and part of Newhall; and containing about 3000 inhabitants, of whom 1621 are in the township of Audlem, 6½ miles (S.) from Nantwich. The Tralebews, ancestors of the family of Aldelym or Audlem, are said to have possessed the manor from the Conquest; it subsequently passed by marriage and purchase, in moieties or parts, to various owners. The township of Audlem comprises 2346 acres, the soil of which is clay and sand, The road from Nantwich to Shrewsbury, and the Chester and Birmingham canal, pass through the parish. A grant was obtained in the 24th of Edward I., of a weekly market, and a fair on the eve, day, and morrow of St. James the Apostle, both which, after long disuse, were revived a few years since: the market is on Thursday. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £5. 16. 8., and in the patronage of Viscount Combermere: the tithes for Audlem township have been commuted for £247 and £81. 10., payable respectively to the impropriator and the vicar. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. A free grammar school was endowed about the middle of the seventeenth century, by Mr. Ralph Bolton, with £20 per annum, and a similar sum arising from a bequest by Mr. Thomas Gammull, both of London; £40 were also given for its benefit by the Rev. William Evans. There is likewise a preparatory English school for younger boys and for girls, endowed with a modus of the tithe of hay, and a house and half an acre of land.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Nantwich
Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 – Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1541 – Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 – Chester
Rural Deanery: Nantwich
Poor Law Union: Nantwich