Ashton upon Mersey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Alternative names: Ashton on Mersey
Other places in the parish include: Sale.
Parish church: St. Martin
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1636
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Calvinist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian Unitarian, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Flixton, Lancashire
- Chorlton cum Hardy, Lancashire
- Stretford St Matthew, Lancashire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHTON-ON-MERSEY, a township and a parish in Altrincham district, Cheshire. The township-lies on the river Mersey, near the junction with it of the Bridge water canal, 1½ mile NW of Sale r. station, and 5¼ WSW of Manchester; it is not wholly within the parish of Ashton-on-Mersey, but extends into the parish of Bowden; and it has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1,611. Real property, £9,522. Pop., 1,476. Houses, 298. The parish includes also the township of Sale. Acres, 3,592. Real property, £28,806. Pop., 4,507. Houses, 895. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £608. Patron, the Rev.B. Sowerby. The vicarage of Sale is a separate benefice. There are places of worship for Quakers, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. Charities, £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ASHTON-upon-Mersey (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 1¾ mile (N.) from Altrincham; comprising the township of Sale, and part of the township of Ashton, the former containing 1309 inhabitants, and the latter, together with the remaining part of the township, in the parish of Bowdon, 1105. A moiety of the manor was held for many generations by the Carringtons, and passed by a female heir of that family to the Booths, from whom it descended to the earls of Stamford and Warrington. The other moiety was possessed by the Hondfords, from whom it came to the Breretons; it afterwards became the property of Viscount Allen, who sold it in 1749 to George, Earl of Warrington, grandfather of the present Earl of Stamford and Warrington, now lord of the whole manor. The township of Ashton is situated, as the name of the parish implies, on the banks of the Mersey; and comprises 1479 acres: the soil is of a sandy and light quality, and large quantities of potatoes and other early produce are grown for the supply of Manchester. The road from Altrincham to Manchester, and the Duke of Bridgewater’s canal, intersect the parish. A court leet is held. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £13. 4. 7.; net income, £608; patron and incumbent, the Rev. C. B. Sowerby. Besides the church, there are places of worship for Calvinists, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, and Unitarians; and in the township of Sale is a school endowed with land and tenements producing £25. 15. per annum. John Okell, Esq., left £80; Thomas Ashton, Esq., £40; and Mrs. Safe, £23; the proceeds whereof are distributed among the poor.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Altrincham
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 – Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 – Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 – Chester
- Rural Deanery: Frodsham
- Poor Law Union: Altrincham
- Hundred: Bucklow
- Province: York