Aldford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Buerton near Chester, Churton by Aldford, Edgerley, and Buerton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1639
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALDFORD, a village, a township, and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The village stands on an affluent of the Dee, 2½ miles ESE of Saltney r. station, and 6 miles S by E of Chester. It has a post office under Chester; and it was formerly a market town. A bridge here crosses an "old ford" on the line of a Roman road into Wales; and that old ford gave the place its name. Remains of a castle are in the neighbourhood, erected in the reign of Henry II., and garrisoned by Brereton in the civil war. The township comprises 1,273 acres. Pop., 438. Houses, 88. The parish includes also the townships of Edgerley, Buerton, and Churton-by Aldford. Acres, 2,633. Real property, £4,872. Pop., 731. Houses, 150. The manor, with Eton Hall, belongs to the Marquis of Westminster. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £330. Patron, the Marquis of Westminster. The church was rebuilt in 1866, and is in the early English style. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Aldford, a parish in the hund. of Broxton, union of Great Boughton, co.-palatine of Chester. It is on the river Dee, and intersected by a small tributary stream of that river. It comprises the townships of Aldford and Churton, the chapelry of Bruera or Churton-Heath, and the townships of Great Boughton, Buerton, and Edgerley.
Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Chester; rated at £16 17s. 8½d.; gross income £350. Patron, the marquis of Westminster. Pop., in 1831, 1,710. Houses 321. Acres 3,760. A. P. £8,271. The township of Aldford is 6 miles south by east of Chester. The name is derived from an old ford over the river at this place. There is here a bridge over the Dee; and in the neighbourhood are some remains of a castle erected in the reign of Henry II. Courts-leet and baron are held at Aldford. Pop., in 1831, 488. Poor rates, in 1837, £147
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
Rural Deanery: Malpas
Poor Law Union: Great Boughton