Alderley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Alternative names: Alderley Edge
Other places in the parish include: Over Alderley, Nether Alderley, and Great Warford.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1629
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Methodist New Connexion, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Macclesfield Christ Church
- Capesthorne with Siddington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALDERLEY, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Macclesfield, Cheshire. The parish lies on an affluent of the river Bollin, and on the Manchester and Birmingham railway, 7 miles SSW of Stockport. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Congleton; and it includes the townships of Nether Alderley, Over Alderley, and Great Warford. Acres in Nether Alderley, 2,755. Real property, £8,708. Pop., 617. Houses, 105. Acres in Over Alderley, 2,146. Real property, £3,388. Pop., 421. Houses, 77. Acres in the parish, 6,173. Real property, £14,931. Pop., 1,418. Houses, 257. The property is subdivided. Alderley Edge has a height of 360 feet, commands an extensive view, and yields excellent sandstone. Alderley Park is the seat of Lord Stanley of Alderley, and has fine grounds. Numerous neat residences have recently been built on Alderley Edge; and excursion trains run to it in summer from Manchester. Copper ore is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £750. Patron, Lord Stanley of Alderley. The church is good; and there are a Baptist chapel and a Wesleyan,-the latter a Gothic edifice of 1863. Charities, £21. The subdistrict includes also parts of three other parishes. Acres, 13,559. Pop., 4,526. Houses, 798.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Alderley, a parish in the hund. and union of Macclesfield, co.-palatine of Chester; 4 miles north west of Macclesfield. It comprises the townships of Superior and Inferior Alderley, and Great Warford. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Chester; rated at £14 18s. 4d.; gross income £635. Patron, in 1841, Lord Stanley. Charities to the poor amount to £11 12s. This parish was formerly included in that of Prestbury. Pop., in 1831, 1,338. Houses 243. Acres 6,240. A. P. £8,826. — Alderley-Edge, a hill in this parish, affords one of the most extensive and beautiful prospects in the county. A fine sandstone of a warm yellow colour is quarried here. The line of the Manchester, Cheshire, and Staffordshire railway, intersects this parish. The two townships of Alderley are 4¾ miles west-north-west from Macclesfield. There are two free schools here now in connexion with the National Society, one of which was founded in 1628 by the Rev. Hugh Shaw, curate of the parish. This was lately rebuilt near the church in Upper Alderley. The other is in Lower Alderley. Pop. of Upper Alderley, in 1801, 408; of Lower Alderley, 483; in 1831, 402 and 587. Poor rates, in 1837, £150 and £236.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ALDERLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 6 miles (W. N. W.) from Macclesfield, containing 1538 inhabitants, of whom 455 are in the township of Upper Alderley, 679 in that of Lower Alderley, and 404 in that of Great Warford. This parish comprises by computation 6009 acres of fertile land, whereof 1971 are in Upper, and 2353 in Lower Alderley; the prevailing soils are clay and sand. The surface is greatly diversified, and towards the north-east rises gradually, forming an elevation called Alderley Edge, which terminates abruptly, and commands an extensive view. Alderley Park, the seat of Lord Stanley, forms an interesting feature in the landscape; in the grounds is a sheet of water called Radnor Mere, a wood near which contains some of the finest beech-trees in England. A few of the inhabitants are engaged in weaving for the manufacturers of the neighbouring towns. The Manchester and Birmingham railway passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 10. 10.; net income, £514; patron, Lord Stanley. Besides the church, there is a chapel at Birtles, the incumbency of which is in the gift of T. Hibbert, Esq. The parish contains also places of worship for Wesleyans, and one for Baptists at Great Warford. An ancient school-house in the churchyard, some time after its erection, was endowed with the sum of £250, which has been placed at interest in the hands of Lord Stanley, who pays the master £10 per annum; another school is principally supported by his lordship. On Alderley Edge is a fine spring, called the Holy Well.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Macclesfield
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Macclesfield
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York