Adlington is a chapelry of Prestbury Ancient Parish in Cheshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ADLINGTON, a township in Prestbury parish, Cheshire; on the river Bollin and the Northwestern railway, 5 miles N of Macclesfield. It has a station on the railway. Valuable mines of coal and flagstone are in the neighbourhood. Acres, 3,350. Real property, £7,583. Pop., 987. Houses, 187. Many of the inhabitants are silk-weavers. Adlington Hall is an old seat, and was taken, in 1645, by the Parliamentary forces, after a fourteen-days' siege. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ADLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Macclesfield; containing 1159 inhabitants. Adlington Hall, a very ancient and curious structure with a garden of cut yew hedges, which has long been the residence of the family of Legh, was garrisoned for Charles I. in the civil war, and taken by the parliamentarian forces on the 14th of Feb. 1645, after a fortnight's siege: in the south-east angle is a small domestic chapel, handsomely fitted up, licensed by the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry in the 25th of Henry VI. The township comprises 4019 acres; the soil is clayey, and there are some valuable mines of coal, and quarries of flagstone. A manorial court is held in May and December, at which debts under 40s. are recoverable.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Macclesfield
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Macclesfield
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York