Sutton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cambridgeshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- [Colne, Huntingdonshire](Colne, Huntingdonshire)
- Earith, Huntingdonshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SUTTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Ely district, Cambridge. The village stands at the terminns of the Ely and Sutton railway, 6 miles W by S of Ely; occupies an eminence, with a commanding view; consists chiefly of one long street; and has a post-office under Ely, and a r. station. The parish comprises 6,970 acres. Real property, £17,219. Pop., 1,731. Houses, 385. Saxon coins, rings, and silver plates were found in 1654. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £1,175. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church is of the 14th century; and has a pinnacled tower, with conical spire. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
Land and property
- County: Cambridgeshire
- Civil Registration District: Ely
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Ely
- Rural Deanery: Ely
- Poor Law Union: Ely
- Hundred: South Witchford
- Province: Canterbury