Stretham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cambridgeshire. Thetford is a chapelry of Stretham.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STRETHAM, a parish, with two hamlets, in Ely district, Cambridge; on the Ely and Sutton railway, 4 miles SSW of Ely. It has a post-office under Ely, and a r. station. Acres, 6,940. Real property, £12,602. Pop. in 1851, 1,597; in 1861, 1,462. Houses, 323. The manor belongs to Mrs. Marsh and Mrs. Col. Wilson. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £800. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is decorated English and good. There are a chapel of ease at Thetford, chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a free school, and charities £142.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog – Free
Stretham, Cambridgeshire : baptisms, 1558-1861; marriages, 1558-1917; banns, 1754-1812, 1825-1915; burials, 1558-1945 Author: Layng, T. P. R (Thomas Peter Royson), 1901-1985; Cambridgeshire Family History Society; Church of England. Parish Church of Stretham (Cambridgeshire)
Thetford, Cambridgeshire : baptisms, 1599-1649, 1654-1894; marriages, 1599-1648, 1654-1963; banns, 1754-1812; burials, 1599-1649, 1654-1812; deaths, 1828-1839 Author: Layng, T. P. R (Thomas Peter Royson), 1901-1985; Church of England. Chapelry of Thetford (Cambridgeshire); Cambridgeshire Family History Society
Description and travel
Land and property
- County: Cambridgeshire
- Civil Registration District: Ely
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Ely
- Rural Deanery: Ely
- Poor Law Union: Ely
- Hundred: South Witchford
- Province: Canterbury