Shepreth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cambridgeshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHEPRETH, a parish, with a village, in the district of Royston and county of Cambridge; on the Hitchin and Cambridge railway, 5 miles NE by N of Royston. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Royston. Acres, 1,269. Real property, £2,714. Pop., 339. Houses, 78. S. manor belonged to Chatteris nunnery; passed, through the Laxtons and others, to the Layers; and belongs now to B. H. Wortham, Esq. Dockwra and Tyrrel manors belong to W. R. Woodham, Esq.; and Wimbish manor, to J. l. Ellis, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £92. Patron, B. H. Wortham, Esq. The church was recently in disrepair. There are an Independent chapel, a small free school, allotments for the poor, and other charities £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
An indexed transcription of the parish registers of Shepreth : baptisms, 1559-1940; marriages, 1559-1935; burials, 1559-1950; banns, 1754-1939 Author: Cambridgeshire Family History Society; Church of England. Parish Church of Shepreth (Cambridgeshire)
Land and property
- County: Cambridgeshire
- Civil Registration District: Royston
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Ely
- Rural Deanery: Barton
- Poor Law Union: Royston
- Hundred: Wetherley
- Province: Canterbury