Sawston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cambridgeshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1640
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Roman Catholic.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SAWSTON, a village and a parish in Linton district, Cambridgeshire The village stands near the river Cam, 1 mile NNE of Whittlesford r. station, and 7 SSE of Cambridge; was once a market town; and has a post-office under Cambridge. The parish comprises 1,856 acres. Real property, £4, 428. Pop. in 1851, 1, 124; in 1861, 1, 363. Houses, 270. The increase of pop. arosefrom the establishment of a paper-mill and parchment-factory. S. Hall is the seat of F. Huddlestone, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £170. Patrons, J. Gosling and F. Huddlestone, Esq. The church is good. There are an Independent chapel, a private Roman Catholic chapel, alms-houses for 8 persons, and other charities £108.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
Land and property
- County: Cambridgeshire
- Civil Registration District: Linton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Ely
- Rural Deanery: Camps
- Poor Law Union: Linton
- Hundred: Whittlesford
- Province: Canterbury