Papworth Agnes is an Ancient Parish partly in Cambridgeshire and partly in Huntingdonshire.
Alternative names: Papworth St Agnes
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
- Hilton, Huntingdonshire
- Godmanchester, Huntingdonshire
- Hemingford Abbots, Huntingdonshire
- Papworth Everard, Cambridgeshire
- Yelling, Huntingdonshire
- Graveley, Cambridgeshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PAPWORTH-ST. AGNES, a parish in the district of Caxton and counties of Cambridge and Huntingdon; 3¾ miles E S E of Offord r. station, and 4¼ N N W of Caxton. Post-town, Hilton, under St. Ives. Acres, 1, 290. Real property of the Cambridge portion, £1, 681. Pop., 121. Houses, 25. Real property of the Huntingdon portion, £148. Pop., 44. Houses, 8. The property is divided into five farms. The manor belonged anciently to the Russells; passed to the Papworths and the Mallorys; and, with Lattenbury-Hill House, belongs now to A. Sperling, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400. Patron, A. Sperling, Esq. The church is decorated English, was restored in 1854, and has memorial windows of the Sperlings. There is a parochial school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PAPWORTH ST. AGNES (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, partly in the hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, but chiefly in that of Papworth, county of Cambridge, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Huntingdon; containing 146 inhabitants. From the ruins scattered throughout, Papworth appears to have been formerly a place of considerable importance; and the old manorhouse, now a farmhouse, still exhibits vestiges of decayed magnificence, especially in its fine fretted ceilings and very superior masonry. The parish is situated on the old north road, or Ermin-street; and comprises about 1230 acres, of which 331 are grass, 42 wood and plantations, and nearly all the rest arable. It lies in a valley, from which hills gradually rise on all sides to the height of about one hundred feet; the scenery is agreeably diversified with elm, ash, oak, and larch trees, and the soil is clay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £9. 16. 3.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. H. J. Sperling: the tithes have been commuted for £293, and the glebe contains 70 acres, with a house, recently built. The church, which is in Cambridgeshire, is supposed to have been built in the fifteenth century; the tower is said to have been demolished by Cromwell’s troops. There is a saline chalybeate spring, which at one time was in great repute.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cambridgeshire; Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Caxton
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Ely
- Diocese: Ely
- Rural Deanery: Bourn
- Poor Law Union: Caxton
- Hundred: Papworth; Toseland
- Province: Canterbury