Over is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cambridgeshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1577
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Holywell cum Needingworth, Huntingdonshire
- Long Stanton All Saints
- Bluntisham, Huntingdonshire
- Earith, Huntingdonshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OVER, a village and a parish in the district of St. Ives and county of Cambridge. The village stands 1 mile E of the river Ouse at the boundary with Hunts, 1¼ NNE of Swavesey r. station, and 4½ E by S of St. Ives; and has a post-office under St. Ives, a neat town hall built in 1849, and two inns. The parish comprises 3,700 acres. Real property, £9,307. Pop. in 1851, 1,256; in 1861, 1,146. Houses, 236. The principal manor belongs to E. Foster, Esq.; and a smaller one, to Merton College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £150. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is ancient and handsome; the W door has a carving of the “Virgin clothed with the sun; “ the body has undergone considerable repair; the N aisle was rebuilt in 1847; the tower and spire were renovated, at a cost of £600, in 1864. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £20 a year, town lands yielding £366, and other charities £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Land and property
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Cambridgeshire
- Civil Registration District: St Ives
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Ely
- Rural Deanery: Chesterton
- Poor Law Union: St Ives
- Hundred: Papworth
- Province: Canterbury