Oakington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cambridgeshire.
Other places in the parish include: Westwick and Oakington Westwick.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Society of Friends/Quaker, Strict Baptist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Dry Drayton
- Long Stanton St Michael
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OAKINGTON, a village and a parish in Chesterton. district, Cambridgeshire. The village stands adjacent to the Cambridge and Huntingdon railway, 1¾ mile NE of the Via Devana, and 4¼ NW of Cambridge; and has a station on the railway, with a postal pillar under Cambridge. The parish contains also the hamlet of West-wick, and comprises 1,757 acres. Real property, £3,933. Pop. in 1851, 694; in 1861, 562. Houses, 137. The decrease of pop. arose from emigration, and from the removal of dilapidated cottages. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £199. Patron, Queen’s College, Cambridge. The church was repaired in 1850; and there were found, under its ancient reading-desk, a lid-covered stone coffin and three massive stone coffin-lids of the 14th century. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £50.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Oakington, Cambridgeshire : baptisms, 1561-1696, 1708-1858; marriages, 1561-1583, 1593-1696, 1708-1858; banns, 1756-1854; burials, 1561-1695, 1708-1858 Author: Layng, T. P. R (Thomas Peter Royson), 1901-1985; Travers, N. K., Mrs.; Church of England. Parish Church of Oakington (Cambridgeshire)
- County: Cambridgeshire
- Civil Registration District: Chesterton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Ely
- Rural Deanery: Chesterton
- Poor Law Union: Chesterton
- Hundred: Chesterton; Northstow
- Province: Canterbury