Kirtling is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cambridgeshire.
Other places in the parish include: Upend.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1585
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1576
Nonconformists include: Gospel Standard Baptist, Particular Baptist, and Roman Catholic.
- Wood Ditton
- Great Bradley
- Ashley with Silverley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KIRTLING, a village and a parish in Newmarket district, Cambridge. The village stands near the boundary with Suffolk, 5 miles SE by S of Newmarket r. station; and has a post office under Newmarket. The parish contains also the hamlet of Upend. Acres, 3,016. Real property, £4,046. Pop., 820. Houses, 172. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Hon. William H. J. North. Kirtling Tower is a meet for the Suffolk hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £160. Patron, the Hon. W. H. J. North. The church is very ancient; has a fine Norman door way; was repaired in 1863; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains an effigies of the second Lord North, and other monuments of the North family. There are a Baptist chapel, a parochial school, six alms houses, and charities £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Newmarket
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury
Diocese: Post-1836 - Ely, Pre-1837 - Norwich
Rural Deanery: Fordham
Poor Law Union: Newmarket