Isleham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cambridgeshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1566
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1675
Nonconformists include: General Baptist, General Baptist New Connexion, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, and Primitive Methodist.
- Soham with Barway
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ISLEHAM, a village and a parish in Newmarket district, Cambridge. The village stands near the river Lark and the boundary with Suffolk, 3½ miles E of Soham, and 7½ N of Newmarket r. station; and has a post office under Soham. The parish comprises 5,211 acres. Real property, £10,696. Pop. in 1851, 2,236; in 1861, 1,925. Houses, 448. The property is subdivided. Limestone is extensively worked and exported. A priory, a cell to St. Jagitto or Jacutus in Brittany, was founded here before 1219, and removed to Linton in 1254. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £496. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is decorated English, with a rebuilt Norman tower; comprises nave, aisles, transept, and porch; and was restored in 1865. There are two Baptist chapels, a Primitive Metliodist chapel, a national school, and charities £209.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Newmarket
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Isleham and Freckenham
Diocese: Pre-1847 - Rochester, Post 1846 - Ely
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - None, Post 1846 - Fordham
Poor Law Union: Newmarket