Is bounded North by Lincolnshire, East by Norfolk and Suffolk, South by Essex and Hertfordshire, and West by Bedford and Huntingdon. It is about 40 miles long, and 25 broad. The hundreds are, Armingford, Chesterton, Cheveley, Chilford, Fiendish, Longstow, Northstow, Passworth, Radfield, Staine, Staploe, Triplow, Wetherley, Whittlesford, and the Isle of Ely. Rivers, — the Cam, the Nen, and the Ouse. It has ten market towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, and principally in the Diocese of Ely, a small part only being in that of Norwich. It is in the Norfolk circuit. — Area, 858 square miles, or 549,120 acres. Population, 164,459.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Index of Articles for Cambridgeshire