Ickleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cambridgeshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
- Great Chesterford
- Duxford St John
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ICKLETON, a village and a parish in Linton district, Cambridge. The village stands on Icknield street, adjacent to the Great Eastern railway, near the boundary with Essex, 1½ mile NNW of Chesterford r. station, and 5 WSW of Linton; has a post office under Saffron-Walden, and a fair on 22 July; and was once a market town. The parish comprises 2,672 acres. Real property, £4,002. Pop., 721. Houses, 159. The manor belongs to the Hon. Mrs. Algernon Herbert. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by the De Veres or the Cantelupes; and was given, at the dissolution, in exchange for other property, to the Bishops of Ely. Roman coins and remains of a Roman villa, together with other Roman relics, were found in 1848. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £85. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a lofty tower. Charities, £69.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Linton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Camps
Poor Law Union: Linton