Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1664
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Parishes adjacent to Great Abington
- Great Chesterford
- Little Abington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ABINGTON (Great), a parish in Linton district, Cambridge. It contains the village of Abington, and the seats of Abington House, Abington Hall, and Abington Park. Acres, 1,500. Real property, £2,291. Pop., 330. Houses, 62. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £120. Patron, T. Mortlock, Esq. The church is early English.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Abingdon (Great), 2 miles N.W. Linton. P. 358
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
ABINGTON, GREAT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Linton, hundred of Chilford, county of Cambridge, 2 ¼ miles (N. W.) from Linton ; containing 358 inhabitants. This place was formerly in the possession of the Veres, Earls of Oxford, to one of whom a market on Friday, to be held here, was granted about 1256, with a fair on the festival of St. Lawrence, both of which have been long discontinued. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £7. 16. 3.; net income, £62 ; patron and impropriator, T. Mortlock, Esq. The tithes, with some exceptions, were commuted for land under an inclosure act in 1801. A school for girls is supported by subscription.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Abington (Great), a parish in the hund. of Chilford, union of Linton, Cambridgeshire; 2 ¼ miles north-west by west of Linton, and 1 mile to the east of the post-road from Newmarket to Bishop Stortford. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Ely; rated at £7 16s. 3d., and in the parliamentary returns at £118; gross income £82. Patron, in 1835, T. Mortlock, Esq. Anciently, a market was held here on Fridays. Tithes cormmuted in 1801. Pop., in 1801, 272; in 1831, 382. Houses 66. Acres 1,500. A. P. £1,881. Poor rates, in 1837, £210.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom Capper 1808
Abington Great, a parish in the hundred of Chilford, Cambridge, 2 miles from Linton, and 50 from London; containing 47 houses and 272 inhabitants. It is a vicarage, value 7l. 16s. 3d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Civil Registration District: Linton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Camps
Poor Law Union: Linton