Elsworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cambridgeshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist
- Papworth Everard
- Fenstanton, Huntingdonshire
- Hilton, Huntingdonshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ELSWORTH, a parish in Caxton district, Cambridge; near the boundary with Hunts, 3 miles NNE of Caxton, and 5½ WSW of Long Stanton r. station. It has a post office under St. Ives. Acres, 3,700. Real property, £4,062. Pop., 787. Houses, 183. Part of the land is common. Elsworth House was the seat of the Pickwoods. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £480. Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church is a fine edifice, with a pinnacled tower. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, an alms-house with £52 a year, and other charities £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
An indexed transcription of the parish registers of Elsworth : baptisms, 1538-1950; marriages, 1539-1950; burials, 1539-1950; banns, 1756-1950 Author: Layng, T. P. R (Thomas Peter Royson), 1901-1985; Church of England. Parish Church of Elsworth (Cambridgeshire); Cambridgeshire Family History Society
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Cambridgeshire
- Civil Registration District: Caxton
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Ely
- Diocese: Ely
- Rural Deanery: Bourn
- Poor Law Union: Caxton
- Hundred: Papworth
- Province: Canterbury