Duxford consisted historically of two neighbouring parishes:
- St John
- St Peter
Duxford St John is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cambridgeshire.
Other places in the parish include: Duxford St Peter.
Parish registers begin:
Duxford St John
- Parish registers: 1684
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Duxford St Peter
Parish registers: 1684
Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DUXFORD, a parish and a sub-district in Linton district, Cambridge. The parish lies on the river Cam, near the Cambridge and London railway, between Chesterford and Whittlesford stations, 5½ miles W of Linton; and has a post office under Cambridge. Acres, 3,132. Real property, £5,146. Pop., 841. Houses, 184. The property is subdivided. Two parishes, St. Peter and St. John, were anciently in the area; but their mutual boundary not being accurately known, they are now treated, for all civil purposes, as one parish. The livings, however, remain distinct, and are respectively a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Values, £500 and £169. Patrons, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and Clare Hall, Cambridge. Both churches are partly Norman. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £30. An old inn here was once a priory. The sub-district includes six other parishes. Acres, 4,928. Pop., 4,772. Houses, 1,015.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Duxford, a parish in the hund. of Whittlesford, union of Linton, county of Cambridge; 5½ miles west of Linton; on the western bank of the Cam, and near the railway from Cambridge to London. It comprises the parishes of Duxford-St. John, and Duxford-St. Peter, and has two livings. That of St. John's is a discharged vicarage; rated at £13 3s. 4d.; gross income £170; in the patronage of Clare-hall, Cambridge. The living of St. Peter's is a rectory; rated at £21 6s. 8d.; gross income £431. In the patronage of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. Both these livings are in the dio. of Ely. The boundaries of each parish not being accurately known, the two are assessed as one. Here are an Independent church, formed in 1795; and four daily and two Sunday schools, one of the former of which is endowed with 20 acres of land. Acres 2,982. Houses 135. A.P. £2,273. Pop., in 1801, 464; in 1831, 670. Poor rates, in 1837, £932.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Civil Registration District: Linton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Camps
Poor Law Union: Linton