Doddington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cambridgeshire. March and Wimblington are chapelries of Doddington.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1681
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DODDINGTON, a village and a parish in North Witchford district, Cambridge. The village stands near the Wisbeach and Cambridge railway, near Wimblington r. station, 4¼ miles SSW of March; has a post office under March; and was once a seat of the Bishops of Ely-Real property, £15,355. Pop., 1,380. Houses, 273. The parish contains also the town of March, and the hamlets of Wimblington and Benwick. Acres, 36,985. Real property £92,166. Pop., 8,722. Houses, 1,894. The manor belongs to Sir A. Peyton, Bart. The surface is fenny; and is bisected by the old river Nen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; and, till 1868, was the richest benefice in the kingdom; but was then divided into the three rectories of Doddington, March, and Benwick. Value of the three, £7,306. Patron, Sir A. Peyton, Bart. There are a Baptist chapel, four Methodist chapels, a national school, an endowed school with £55 a year, town-lands £146, and other charities £702. Nalson, the historian, was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: North Witchford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Ely
Poor Law Union: North Witchford
Hundred: North Witchford