Bartlow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cambridgeshire.
Alternative names: Great Bartlow
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1573
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
- Shudy Camps
- Hadstock, Essex
- Ashdon, Essex
- Castle Camps
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARTLOW, or Great Bartlow, a parish, with a r. station, in Linton district, Cambridgeshire; on the Cambridge and Haverhill railway, 2¼ miles SE of Linton. Post Town, Linton, under Cambridge. Acres, 370. Real property, £677. Pop., 120. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. Bartlow House and Bartlow Cottage are chief residences. Four barrows, popularly called Bartlow Hills, command an extensive view; and are generally, but erroneously, regarded as graves of the slain in the battle of 1016 between Edmund Ironside and Canute. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £259. Patron, R. Watkins, Esq. The church has a round Saxon tower, and is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
An indexed tramscription of the parish registers of Bartlow : baptisms, 1573-1950; marriages, 1573-1950; burials, 1573-1950; banns, 1754-1950 Author: Layng, T. P. R (Thomas Peter Royson), 1901-1985; Cambridgeshire Family History Society; Church of England. Parish Church of Bartlow (Cambridgeshire)
Land and property
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Cambridgeshire
- Civil Registration District: Linton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Ely
- Rural Deanery: Camps
- Poor Law Union: Linton
- Hundred: Chilford
- Province: Canterbury