Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Abington by Shingay, Abington in the Clay
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1729
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Parishes adjacent to Abington Pigotts
- Wendy with Shingay
- Steeple Morden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ABINGTON-IN-THE-CLAY, or Abington-Pigotts, a parish in Royston district, Cambridge; 5 miles NW of Royston, and 4 from Royston r. station. Post Town, Royston. Acres, 1,237. Real property, £2,206. Pop., 228. Houses, 41. The manor has been held by the family of Pigott since the Conquest. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £310. Patron, M. G. F. Pigott, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Abingdon-in-the-Clay, 10 miles S.W. Cambridge. P. 232
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
ABINGTON-IN-THE-CLAY, or Abington-Pigots (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Royston, hundred of Armingford, county of Cambridge, 4 ½ miles (W. N. W.) from Royston; containing 232 inhabitants. It had formerly the privilege of holding a market on Friday, granted about the year 1335 to the Bassingbourns. The parish comprises 1239a. 8p., of which 885 acres are arable, 268 meadow, 64 wood, and 19 occupied by cottages. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 2. 3 ½., and in the gift of M. G. F. Pigott, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £354, and there are 28 acres of glebe. A school is supported by subscription.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Abington-In-The-Clay, or Abington-Pigotts, a parish in the hund. of Armingford, Royston union, county of Cambridge; 5½ miles west-north-west from Royston, and 2 miles west of the post-road from Rutford to Huntingdon. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Ely; rated at £16 2s. 3 ½ d.: gross income £330. Patron, in 1835. M. G. F. Pigott, Esq. Church dedicated to St Michael. Here was anciently a market on Fridays. The parish was inclosed pursuant to an act passed in 1770. Pop. in 1801, 177; in 1831, 259. Houses 38. Acres 1,200. A. P. £1,575. Poor rates, in 1837, £163.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom Capper 1808
Abington, a parish in the hundred of Armingford, Cambridge, 5 miles from Royston, and 41 from London; containing 21 houses and 177 inhabitants. Is a rectory, value 16l. 2s. 3d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1807
Abington, (Camb.) a village distant from Cambridge 8 miles. Here are the seats of F. Faweet, and J. Sayer, esq.; and in the vicinity, on Gog-Magog hills, is a residence of Lord F, Osborne.
Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807.
Civil Registration District: Royston
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Ely
Rural Deanery: Shingay
Poor Law Union: Royston