Wooburn is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Wooburn Town, Wooburn Green, Cores End, and Bourne End.
Alternative names: Woburn
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WOOBURN, or Woburn, a village and a parish in Wycombe district, Bucks. The village stands adjacent to the Maidenhead and Oxford railway, 2¾ miles SW of Beaconsfield; is large and scattered; consists of W.-Town, W.-Green, Cores-End, and Bourne-End; is near Marlow-Road r. station; and has a r. station of W.-Green, a post-office of W.-Green under Beaconsfield, a post-office of W. under Beaconsfield, several inns, and fairs on 4 May and 12 Nov. The parish comprises 2,850 acres. Real property, £8,853. Pop. in 1851, 2,026; in 1861, 2,245. Houses, 477. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belonged to Earl Harold; went to the Bishops of Lincoln, who had a palace here; passed to the Lovells, the Comptons, the Goodwins, the Whartons, and the Berties; and belongs now to J. Dupré, Esq. W. House was the death place of Bishop Smith, the founder of Brasenose college; was visited, in the time of the first Lord Wharton, by William III.; was rebuilt in 1750; and is now the seat of A. Gilbey, Esq. There are extensive paper and millboard mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £150. Patron, J Dupré, Esq. The church was restored in 1857. There are four dissenting chapels, a national school, infant schools, a mission-house, and charities £35.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Wycombe
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Wycombe
- Poor Law Union: Wycombe
- Hundred: Desborough
- Province: Canterbury