Wolverton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1536
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Table of Contents
- Stony Stratford
- Cosgrove, Northamptonshire
- Wolverton St George
- Bradwell Abbey
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WOLVERTON, a small town and a parish in the district of Potterspury and county of Buckingham.
The town stands on the Northwestern railway, at the junction of the line to Newport-Pagnell, 2 miles ENE of Stony-Stratford; was founded and grew up in connexion with the railway; consists largely of a depôt of the railway, with extensive workshops, and with houses for the workmen; and has a post-office, designated Wolverton, Bucks, a r. station with telegraph, an inn, a recent church, built at a cost of £5,000, a school for about 500 children built by the railway company, and a handsome science and art institute, built in 1864.
The parish comprises 2,260 acres. Real property, £6,758; of which £10 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,070; in 1861, 2,370. Houses, 365. The manor belonged to a Norman family, who took the name of Wolverton; passed, in the time of Edward III., to the Longnevilles; was sold, in 1712, to the famous Dr. Radcliffe; and belongs now to the Radcliffe trustees. W. house is the seat of S. R. Harrison, Esq.
Both the head living and that of St. George or New Wolverton are vicarages, in the diocese of Oxford. Value of the former, £38; of the latter, £167. Patrons of both, the Radcliffe Trustees. The parochial church stands about a mile WSW of Wolverton town: and is a modern edifice, in the Norman style.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
England, Buckinghamshire, Wolverton – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Wolverton, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office
England, Buckinghamshire, Wolverton – Census – 1851 ( 1 )
1851 census of Wolverton
Author: Buckinghamshire Family History Society
England, Buckinghamshire, Wolverton – Church records ( 4 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Wolverton, 1575-1830
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Wolverton (Buckinghamshire)
Parish registers for Holy Trinity Church, Wolverton, 1536-1931
Author: Church of England. Holy Trinity Church (Wolverton, Buckinghamshire)
Parish registers for St. George’s Church, Wolverton, 1844-1921
Author: Church of England. St. George’s Church (Wolverton, Buckinghamshire)
Wolverton Wesleyan Church : marriages 1900-1924
Author: EurekA Partnership
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Potterspury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 – Lincoln, Post-1844 – Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, Post-1844 – Newport
- Poor Law Union: Potterspury
- Hundred: Newport
- Province: Canterbury