Winslow is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Shipton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1571
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, and Strict Baptist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WINSLOW, a small town, a parish, and a district, in Bucks. The town stands on the brow of a hill, adjacent to the Oxford and Bletchley railway, 6½ miles SE of Buckingham; was given, in 794, by King Offa, to St. Alban’s abbey; is a seat of petty-sessions; comprises three neat well built streets, with a central market place; and has a head post-office, a r. station with telegraph, a banking-office, a good inn, a police station, a later English church, Independent and Baptist chapels, an endowed school with £42 a year, a national boys’ school, a parochial girls’ school, a workhouse, charities £28, a weekly market on Wednesday, and ten annual fairs. The parish comprises 1,920 acres. Real property, £7,631; of which £190 are in gasworks. Pop., 1,890. Houses, 376. The manor belongs to W. S. Lowndes, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £220. Patron, the Lord Chancellor.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Winslow
- Probate Court: Pre-1846 - Court of the Archdeaconry of St Albans, Post-1845 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Buckingham
- Poor Law Union: Winslow
- Hundred: Cottesloe
- Province: Canterbury