West Wycombe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Alternative names: Lane End
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1663
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
- Parish registers: 1832
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1851
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Lacey Green
- [Ackhampstead, Oxfordshire](Ackhampstead, Oxfordshire)
- High Wycombe
- Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire
- Great Marlow
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WYCOMBE (West), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wycombe district, Bucks. The village stands on the Maidenhead and Thame railway, under a hill side, 2½ miles NW of Wycombe; is a picturesque place; carries on chair-making; and has a post-office under Wycombe, and a r. station. The parish comprises 6,340 acres. Real property, £9,201. Pop. in 1851, 2,000; in 1861, 2,161. Houses, 437. The manor belonged, till 1550, to the Bishops of Winchester; passed to the Dormers and other s; and with W. Park, has belonged, since 1698, to the Dashwoods. The mansion was much enlarged in 1763, by Lord le Despencer; has a frontage of 300 feet; contains rich decorations, and some fine paintings; and stands in very fine grounds, partly laid out by Repton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £300. Patron, Sir J. Dashwood King, Bart. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1763; is a handsome edifice in the Grecian style: stands on the top of a steep hill; and has attached to its E end a beautiful hexagonal mausoleum, now partially in ruins. A cave ½ a mile long, penetrates the church hill, and is much visited by tourists. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Wycombe
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 – Lincoln, Post-1844 – Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, Post-1844 – Wycombe
- Poor Law Union: Wycombe
- Hundred: Desborough
- Province: Canterbury