Wendover is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Lee Common and Wendover Dean Foreign.
Parish registers begin: 1626
Nonconformists include: General Baptist and Independent/Congregational.
Parishes adjacent to Wendover
- The Lee
- Aston Clinton St Leonard
- Great Missenden
- Little Hampden
- Bierton with Broughton
- Aston Clinton
- Stoke Mandeville
- Weston Turville
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WENDOVER, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wycombe district, Bucks. The town stands at the terminus of a branch of the Grand Junction canal, under the Chiltern hills, 5 miles SE by S of Aylesbury r. station; sent two members to parliament in the times of Edward I. and Edward VII., and from the time of James II. till disfranchised by the reform act of 1832; is a seat of petty sessions; carries on straw-plait manufacture; and has a post-office under Tring, a good inn, a police station, a canal-wharf for importation of coals, a literary institution, with reading room and library, an ancient church, chiefly early English, Independent and Baptist chapels, an endowed school with £17 a year, charities £232, a weekly market on Tuesday, and fairs on 13 May and 2 Oct. The parish comprises 5,719 acres. Real property, £7,780. Pop., 1,932. Houses, 411. The manor was held by the Fiennes; passed to the Molins, the Hollands, the Knollys, the Hampdens, and the Verneys; and belongs now to Capt. P. Smith. W. House, W. Hall, W. Lodge, Bucksbridge House, and Cavendish Villa are chief residences. A reservoir of 55 acres is here, and supplies water-power to Weston-Turville and Aylesbury mills. Backham Hilland Coomb Hill command extensive and charming views. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £271. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The sub-district contains 8 parishes. Acres, 19,150. Pop., 5,042. Houses, 1,075.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Wendover, 35 miles N.W. London, 5 miles S. E. Aylesbury. Mrkt., Thurs. P. 1877.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Marriages at Wendover 1576-1812
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Wycombe
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Wendover
- Poor Law Union: Wycombe
- Hundred: Aylesbury
- Province: Canterbury