Stowe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Dadfort, Dadford, Boycott, and Lamport
Parish registers begin: 1568
Parishes adjacent to Stowe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STOWE, a parish, with three hamlets, in the district and county of Buckingham; 2¾ miles NNW of Buckingham r. station. Post town, Buckingham. Acres, 2,950. Real property, £5,013. Pop., 352. Houses, 71. The manor, with S. House, belongs to the Duke of Buckingham. S. House is in the Grecian style, of centre and wings, with a frontage of 916 feet; had once a remarkable magnificence, as well internally as externally; suffered decadence in 1848, by the sale of its rich moveable contents, to pay off a mortgage of £1,500,000: but still is distinguished both by its own architecture and by the decorations of its grounds. Boycott Manor-House, a recent erection in the Tudor style, is the seat ofHiggins, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £25. Patron, the Duke of Buckingham. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Stowe, 1½ m. N.W. Buckingham. P. 410
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Buckingham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Post-1844 - Oxford, Pre-1845 - Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Post-1844 - Buckingham, Pre-1845 - None
- Poor Law Union: Buckingham
- Hundred: Buckingham
- Province: Canterbury