Stony Stratford is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Buckinghamshire, created in 1767 from St Giles chapelry in Calverton Parish and St Mary Magdalen chapelry in Wolverton Parish.
- Stony Stratford
- Stony Stratford St Giles
- Stony Stratford St Mary Magdalen
Other places in the parish include: Stony Stratford West and Stony Stratford East.
Parish church: St Mary & St Giles
Parish registers begin: 1653
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Table of Contents
Parishes adjacent to Stony Stratford
Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870
Stratford, Stoney, a market and post town of England, in Buckinghamshire, situated on the Ouse, which is crossed here by a stone bridge, 7 miles N.E. from Buckingham. It contains two churches, several chapels for nonconformists, and a large middle-class school. Manf. Lace. Mar. D. Fri. Pop. 2005, chieﬂy engaged in agricultural pursuits. The nearest station is Wolverton, on the London and North-Western Railway, from which it is distant about 2 miles.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Stratford (Stony), a small town and a parish in the district of Potterspury and county of Buckingham.
The town stands on Watling-street and the river Ouse, 2 miles WSW of Wolverton r. station, and 7½ NE by E of Buckingham; is supposed, by some antiquaries, to occupy the site of the Roman Lactodorum; was Edward IV.’s starting-place to Grafton, to marry Elizabeth Woodville; was also the place where Richard III. seized Edward V.; had an Eleanor cross, put up by Edward I., and demolished in 1646; suffered much desolation by an accidental fire in 1742; lost then its later English church of St. Mary Magdalene, all except the tower, which still stands.
It is a seat of petty-sessions; publishes a weekly newspaper; communicates, by a three-arched bridge, with Old Stratford, on the Northampton side of the Ouse; consists chiefly of one long old street, a market place, and a new street; and has a head post-office, three banking offices, a good hotel, a police station, reading rooms, a public hall, a church rebuilt in 1776, but retaining a tower of 1487, three dissenting chapels, a public cemetery of 1856 with two handsome chapels, an endowed grammar-school, national and British schools, charities £426, a weekly corn market on Friday, a monthly cattle market, and fairs on 2 Aug., the Friday after 10 Oct., and the first Friday of Nov.
The parish comprises two ancient parishes, St. Mary Magdalene and St. Giles; and is divided into East Side, which was St. Mary Magdalene, and West Side, which was St. Giles. Acres, 70. Real property of East Side, £2,148, of which £120 are in gasworks; of West Side, £3,083. Pop. of the whole in 1851, 1,256; in 1861, 1,356. Houses, 263. The manor of East Side belongs to the Radcliffe trustees; and that of West Side, to W. S. Lowndes, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £185. Patron, the Bishop of O.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Stoney-Stratford, on the Ouse, 52 m. N.W. London, & 14 N. E. Aylesbury. Mrkt. Fri. P. 1757.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
England, Buckinghamshire, Stratford (Stony)
England, Buckinghamshire, Stony Stratford – Census ( 2 )
Census returns for Stony Stratford, East, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office
Census returns for Stony Stratford, West, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office
England, Buckinghamshire, Stony Stratford – Census – 1851 ( 1 )
1851 census of Calverton, Stony Stratford
Author: Buckinghamshire Family History Society
England, Buckinghamshire, Stony Stratford – Church records ( 3 )
Births, baptisms and burials, 1822-1837
Author: Independent Church (Stony Stratford, England)
Bishop’s transcripts for St. Giles’ Church, Stony Stratford, 1575-1781
Author: Church of England. St. Giles’ Church (Stony Stratford, Buckinghamshire)
Bishop’s transcripts for St. Mary Magdalene’s Church, Stony Stratford, 1575-1782
Author: Church of England. St. Mary Magdalene’s Church (Stony Stratford, Buckinghamshire); Church of England. St. Giles’ Church (Stony Stratford, Buckinghamshire)
England, Buckinghamshire, Stony Stratford – Church records – Indexes ( 2 )
Computer printout of Stony Stratford, East Independent, Bucks., Eng
Parish register printouts of Stony Stratford, Buckingham, England (Independent Church, East Chapel) ; christenings, 1822-1837
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department
England, Buckinghamshire, Stony Stratford – History ( 1 )
The history of the church and town of Stony Stratford
Author: Jones, P. T.
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Potterspury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Newport
- Poor Law Union: Potterspury
- Hundred: Newport
- Province: Canterbury