Quainton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Dereham, Doddershall, and Shipton Lee.
Alternative names: Quinton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1599
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
QUAINTON, or Quinton, a village and a parish in Aylesbury district, Bucks. The village stands 4¾ miles SSE of Claydon r. station, and 6½ NW of Aylesbury; is large and widely scattered; was once a market town; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Winslow and an inn. The parish contains also the hamlets of Doddershall, Dereham, and Shipton-Lee. Acres, 5, 368. Real property, £8, 980. Pop., 929. Houses, 227. The property is divided among a few. Doddershall Hall is the seat of G. Pigott, Esq. Quainton hill commands a good view. The rocks include gritstone and iron-sand, and are famous for their fossils. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £650. Patron, the Rev. W. E. Richardson. The church is of Mixed architecture; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and N chapel, with W tower; and contains a figured screen, some good brasses, and several beautiful marble monuments. There are a Baptist chapel, a parochial school, alms-houses with £107 a year, and charities £105. Brett, a translator of the Bible, was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Aylesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 – Lincoln, Post-1844 – Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, Post-1844 – Waddesdon
- Poor Law Union: Aylesbury
- Hundred: Ashendon
- Province: Canterbury