Princes Risborough is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Loosley Row, Loosley, Longwick, Speen, and Parkfield.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RISBOROUGH-PRINCES, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wycombe district, Bucks. The town stands near Icknield-street, under the Chiltern hills, ½ a mile N E of the Wycombe and Oxford railway, and 7½ S by W of Aylesbury; had a moated palace of the Black Prince, whence it took the name of Princes; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Tring, a railway station, a good inn, a market house, a church, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £55 a year, a British school, charities £34, a weeklymarket on Thursday, and fairs on 6 May and 21 Oct. The church was re-built in the time of Henry VII.; retains a very fine early English window; and has a tower and octagonal spire 100 feet high. A mound on the W side of the churchyard marks the site of the Black Prince’s palace; and is thought, by some antiquaries, to have been a Saxon camp. The parish contains also the hamlets of Lacey-Green, Longwick, Loosley-Row, Park-field, and Speen; and comprises 4, 710 acres. Real property, £8, 940. Pop., 2, 392. Houses, 512. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given, by Henry III., to the Earl of Cornwall; reverted to the Crown about 1300; remained with the Crown till the time of Charles I.; and passed to the family of Grubb. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £150. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The p. curacy of Lacey-Green is a separate benefice.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Wycombe
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Wendover
- Poor Law Union: Wycombe
- Hundred: Aylesbury
- Province: Canterbury