Pitstone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Alternative names: Pightlesthorne
Parish registers begin: 1653
Parishes adjacent to Pitstone
- Great Gaddesden
- Little Gaddesden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales
PITSTONE, or Pightlesthorne, a village and a parish in the district of Berkhampstead and county of Buckingham. The village stands near Icknield-street, the boundary with Herts, the Northwestern railway, and the Grand Junction canal, 1 mile S of Ivinghoe, and 2 N by W of Tring r. station. The parish contains also the hamlet of Nettleden; and measures about 7 miles in length and 1 in breadth. Post-town, Tring. Acres, 2,836. Real property, £3,692. Pop., 581. Houses, 109. The property is divided among a few. Ashridge Park is the seat of Earl Brownlow, and has been separately noticed. A monument, about a mile from it, was erected in 1832, in honour of the third Duke of Bridge-water. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £172. Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is decorated and later English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains a fine Norman font and an elaborately carved old oak pulpit. The p. curacy of Nettleden is a separate benefice. There is a school endowment of £10 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Pitstone 1576-1812
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Berkhampstead
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Mursley
- Poor Law Union: Berkhampstead
- Hundred: Cottesloe
- Province: Canterbury