Padbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Parish church: St. Matthew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Padbury, a village and a parish in the district and county of Buckingham. The village stands on an eminence, near the river Ouse, and near the Buckinghamshire railway, 2 ½ miles SSE of Buckingham; and has a bridge over the Ouse, and a post-office under Buckingham. The parish comprises 1,900 acres. Real property, £4,000; of which £68 are on the railway. Pop. in 1851, 660; in 1861, 550. Houses, 136. The decrease of pop. was caused by demolition of houses, and by emigration. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to All Souls College, Oxford. A skirmish was fought here, in 1643, between Sir C. Lucas and Col. Middleton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £100. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient and tolerable; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a low tower. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PADBURY (St. Matthew), a parish, in the union, parliamentary borough, hundred, and county of Buckingham, 2½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Buckingham; containing 696 inhabitants. The parish is pleasantly situated on the road from Buckingham to London, and is separated from the parish of Buckingham by the river Ouse, over which is a neat stone bridge, built in 1827, in lieu of a former one erected in 1742. It comprises nearly 2000 acres, of which more than half are leasehold under All Souls’ College, Oxford. The manor-house is a spacious well-built edifice, adjoining the road. The manufacture of lace affords employment to the females. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £6. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £115. On the inclosure, in 1795, land was assigned in lieu of tithes. The church has three piscinæ. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Buckingham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Buckingham
- Poor Law Union: Buckingham
- Hundred: Buckingham
- Province: Canterbury