Oving is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1680
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OVING, a village and a parish in Aylesbury district, Bucks. The village stands on an eminence, 4¾ miles S of Winslow r. station, and 5¾ NNW of Aylesbury; and is a scattered place. The parish comprises 971 acres. Post town, Aylesbury. Real property, £2, 522. Pop., 436. Houses, 100. The property is much sub-divided. The right to the manor is disputed. Oving House is the seat of Lieut.-Col.Pratt; and occupies acommanding site, overlooking the vale of Aylesbury. The parish is a meet for Rothschild’s hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £350. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is chiefly early English; is in good condition; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
OVING (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Aylesbury, hundred of Ashendon, county of Buckingham, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Aylesbury; containing 391 inhabitants. The making of lace is carried on. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £7. 17. 11., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £232. There are some remains of a castle.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Aylesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 – Lincoln, Post-1844 – Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, Post-1844 – Waddesdon
- Poor Law Union: Aylesbury
- Hundred: Ashendon
- Province: Canterbury