North Marston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1587
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MARSTON (NORTH), a village and a parish in Winslow district, Bucks. The village stands 3½ miles S of Winslow r. station, and 7½ N of Aylesbury; and has a post-office under Winslow The parish comprises 1,910 acres. Real property, £3,661. Pop., 644. Houses, 137. The property is subdivided. A perennial spring, called Sir John Shorne’s well, is at the foot of the village; is fabled to have started into being by miraculous act of a sainted incumbent in the 13th century; and was, together with a costly shrine of the same person in the church, frequented for ages by superstitions pilgrims. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £150. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church stands on an eminence; is partly decorated English and partly later, with a tower; has a handsome E window and reredos, erected by Queen Victoria, in memory of J. Nield, Esq., who bequeathed to her his fortune of about £250,000, and died in 1852; and contains fine oak stalls, a piscina, three brasses of 1499, 1602, and 1613, and a curious memorial of Mr. John Virgin. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and 26 acres of poors’ and church lands.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Winslow
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Waddesdon
- Poor Law Union: Winslow
- Hundred: Ashendon
- Province: Canterbury