Monk’s Risborough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Whiteleaf, White Leaf, White Clift, Upper Cadsdean, Owlswick, Meadle, Lower Cadsdean, Catsdeans, Cats Dean, and Askett.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1587
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RISBOROUGH-MONKS, a village and a parish in Wycombe district, Bucks. The village stands near Icknield-street, and under the Chiltern hills, 1½ mile NE of Princes-Risborough r. station. The parish contains also the hamlets of Askett, Lower Cadsdean, Upper Cadsdean, Meadle, Owlswick, and Whiteleaf; and its post town is Princes-Risborough, under Tring. Acres, 3, 220. Real property, £4, 244. Pop., 985. Houses, 204. The property is subdivided. The manor was given, in 995, to Christchurch, Canterbury. Askett Lodge is the seat of Sir F. B. Morland, Bart. Old Place was a monastic farm, and was destroyed in 1859. A cross, 100 feet by 70, is on the chalky side of one of the Chiltern hills; and is believed to have been cut by the Saxons, to commemorate some victory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £700. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is ancient and interesting, and was recently restored. A school-chapel was built at Owlswick in 1866. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £33. Archbishop Potter was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Wycombe
- Probate Court: Pre-1846 - Court of the Peculiar of Monks Risborough, Post-1845 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Wendover
- Poor Law Union: Wycombe
- Hundred: Aylesbury
- Province: Canterbury