Mentmore is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Ledburn.
Parish registers begin: 1685
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Mentmore
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MENTMORE, a village and a parish in the district of Leighton-Buzzard and county of Buckingham. The village stands near the Northwestern railway, 1½ mile NNE of the boundary with Herts, 1¾ SW of the boundary with Beds, 1¾ NNW of Cheddington Junction r. station, and 4 SSW of Leighton-Buzzard; and has a postoffice under Leighton-Buzzard. The parish contains also the hamlet of Ledburn, and comprises 1,240 acres. Real property, £2,498. Pop., 399. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. Mentmore Towers and much of the land belong to Baron de Rothschild. The Towers stands to the W of the village, commanding an extensive view of the vale of Aylesbury; is a splendid mansion in the Italian style, of Ancaster stone, after designs by Sir Joseph Paxton and G. H. Stokes; and contains a fine collection of Majolica ware. Baron de Rothschild's stag hounds are kennelled here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £200. Patron, Baron de Rothschild. The church is decorated and later English, in good condition. A Baptist chapel is at Ledburn; and the parish shares in Pratt's charity.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Mentmore, 2 miles W. Ivinghoe. P. 348
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Marriages at Mentmore 1575-1812
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Leighton Buzzard
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Post-1844 - Oxford, Pre-1845 - Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Mursley
- Poor Law Union: Leighton Buzzard
- Hundred: Cottesloe
- Province: Canterbury