Medmenham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1654
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MEDMENHAM, a village and a parish in the district of Henley and county of Buckingham. The village stands near the river Thames, at the boundary with Berks, 3¼ miles SW by W of Great Marlow, and 4½ WNW of Henley r. station; and has a post-office under Marlow. The parish comprises 2,420 acres. Real property, £3,208. Pop., 380. Houses, 76. The property is divided among four. The manor, with Danesfield House, belongs to R. S. Murray, Esq. A Cistertian abbey., an offshoot of Woburn abbey, was founded here in 1204, by Hugh de Bolibec; went gradually into decay, so as to be very poor at the dissolution; survives in remains, agglomerated with modern tower and cloister, adjacent to a little inn and a ferry-house, on a lovely and secluded spot, contiguous to the Thames; became, in the middle of last century, the abode of a mysterious community, calling themselves Franciscans, from their founder Francis Dashwood, afterwards Lord le Despenser; and is now a favourite place of popular resort. Some of the doings of the so called Franciscans are noticed in “Chrysal or the Adventures of a Guinea;’’ and some pictures, representing their mysteries, are preserved at the Thatched House tavern in London. A large ancient entrenchment, supposed to be Danish, is near Danesfield House. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £200. Patron,R. S. Murray, Esq. The church is early English, of flint, chalk, and stone; was restored at several periods up to 1864, at a cost of nearly £1,200; and has a tower, and a fine E window. The churchyard contains a handsome monument to Mrs. Bransby Powys. There is a parochial school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Medmenham, a parish in the hund. of Desborough, union of Wycombe, county of Buckingham; 34 miles south-west by west of Great Marlow, on the northern bank of the Thames. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Buckingham and dio. of Lincoln; rated at £5 7s. 1d., returned at £110; gross income £141. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £10, due to the impropriator, and £190 to the vicar. Patroness, in 1835, Mrs. Scott. Here is a daily school. An abbey of Cistertians was founded here, about 1204, by Hugh de Bolebec, as a cell to the monastery at Woburn. At the dissolution it had two resident monks with a revenue of £23 17s. 2d. Acres 2,510. Houses 67. A.P. £2,574. Pop., in 1801, 284; in 1831, 384. Poor rates, in 1838, £197.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
MEDMENHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Henley, hundred of Desborough, county of Buckingham, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Marlow; containing 385 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, valued in the king’s books at £5. 7. 1., and in the patronage of C. R. Scott Murray, Esq.: the incumbent’s tithes have been commuted for £200, and the glebe comprises 3 acres. An abbey for Cistercian monks was founded here by Hugh de Bolebec, as a cell to the monastery at Woburn, and its revenue was valued at £20. 6. 2.; a very small portion of the conventual building remains, and the site is partly occupied by a modern erection, in imitation of ruins, almost overgrown with ivy. Above the village are vestiges of a large camp, nearly square, with a single vallum and ditch, the area comprising about seven acres; there is also an ancient circular intrenchment in the parish, called Danesfield.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Henley
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Wycombe
- Poor Law Union: Henley
- Hundred: Desborough
- Province: Canterbury