Ludgershall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Kingwood, Tetchwick, and Kingswood.
Alternative names: Ludgershall and Tetchwick Kingwood
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1570
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Piddington, Oxfordshire
- Wotton Underwood
- Marsh Gibbon
- Brill with Boarstall
- Grendon Underwood
- Long Crendon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LUDGERSHALL, a village and a parish in Aylesbury district, Bucks. The village stands near the boundary with Oxford, 1½ mile S of Akeman-street, and 6 SE by E of Bicester r. station; and got its name by corruption from King Ludd’s Hall. The parish contains also the hamlets of Kingswood and Tetchwick. Post town, Brill, under Thame. Acres, 2,430. Real property, £3,600. Pop., 536. Houses, 118. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Rev. T. Martyn. Henry II. is said to have selected King Ludd’s Hall as a retreat for Fair Rosamund; and a lane in the woods is still called Rosamund’s way. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £550. Patron, the Rev. T. Martyn. The church is early and decorated English, in good condition; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; and contains a Norman font and a brass of 1523. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £18. An alien hospital was here, a cell to that of Saintingfield, given to King’s college, Cambridge.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Aylesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Waddesdon
- Poor Law Union: Aylesbury
- Hundred: Ashendon
- Province: Canterbury