Little Marlow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MARLOW (LITTLE), a parish in Wycombe district, Bucks; adjacent to the Thames, 2 miles WNW of Marlow-Road r. station and 4 S by E of High Wycombe. It has a post-office under Marlow. Acres, 3,346. Real property, £5,488. Pop. in 1851, 894; in 1 861, 790. Houses, 172. The property is divided between two. The manor belonged to Edith, the Queen of the Confessor; passed to the Bishop of Baieux, the Marshalls, the Clarres, and the Borlases; and, with the Manor House, belongs now to J. P. Ellames, Esq. Westhorpe House is occupied by G. Jackson, Esq. A Benedictine nunnery was founded in the time of Henry II., at what is now a farm. Chalk is manufactured into lime. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £155. Patron, S. Birch, Esq. The church is a plain edifice, with a tower; was recently restored; and contains the tomb of the builder of its chancel, Nicholas de Ledwick, 1430. There are a national school, and charities £30.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Wycombe
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Wycombe
- Poor Law Union: Wycombe
- Hundred: Desborough
- Province: Canterbury