Linslade is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Southcott.
Alternative names: Linchlade
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1690
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LINCHLADE, or LINSLADE, a village and a parish in the district of Leighton-Buzzard and county of Buckingham. The village stands on the Northwestern railway, the Grand Junction canal, and the river Ouzel, at the boundary with Beds, contiguous to the new Leighton-Buzzard r. station, in the NNW vicinity of Leighton-Buzzard; is a modern place, of rapid growth, promising to become a town; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Leighton-Buzzard, several inns, and a fife and drum band. The parish contains also a small old village of Linchlade, which was once a market town, and likewise the hamlet of Southcott. Acres, 1,830. Real property, £6,465. Pop. in 1851, 1,309; in 1861, 1,511. Houses, 297. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged formerly to the Beauchamps, and belongs now to W. Pulsford, Esq. A tunnel of the Northwestern railway here is 290 yards long. There are ironstone and a pilgrim’s well. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Valne, £120. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The old church stands at the old village, has a tower, and is now used only for burials, and for occasional services in summer. The new church was built in 1849; and, together with a national school, cost about £3,000.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Leighton Buzzard
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Mursley
- Poor Law Union: Leighton Buzzard
- Hundred: Cottesloe
- Province: Canterbury