Ickford is an Ancient Parish partly in Buckinghamshire and partly in Oxfordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Draycott.
Parish church: St. Nicholas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1590
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist and Roman Catholic.
- Albury, Oxfordshire
- Chilton, Buckinghamshire
- Oakley, Buckinghamshire
- Waterstock, Oxfordshire
- Worminghall, Buckinghamshire
- Shabbington, Buckinghamshire
- Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire
- Great Milton, Oxfordshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ICKFORD, a village in Bucks, and a parish partly also in Oxfordshire, but all in Thame district. The village stands near the river Thame, 4 miles WNW of Thame r. station; has a post-office under Thame; and disputes with Itchingford being the place where Edward the Elder, in 907, treated with the Danes. The part of the parish within Oxfordshire is Draycott hamlet. Acres, of the entire parish, 1, 249. Real property, £2, 728. Pop., 436. Houses, 98. The property is chiefly divided among four. The manor belongs to T. Jacomb, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £434. Patron, the Rev. J. Townshend. The church is of different dates, but chiefly early English; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with W tower; and contains an early English piscina. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £10. T. Phillips, the author of a “Life of Cardinal Pole,” was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ICKFORD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Thame, partly in the hundred of Ewelme, county of Oxford, but chiefly in that of Ashendon, county of Buckingham, 4¼ miles (W. by N.) from Thame; containing, with the hamlet of Draycott, 386 inhabitants. This is supposed by some writers to be the place where the treaty between Edward and the Danes was signed, in 907. The parish comprises 1133a. 1r. 3p., of which 820a. 3r. 13p. are pasture, and 312a. 1r. 30p. arable land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £9. 9. 7.; net income, £392; patron, the Rev. J. C. Townsend. Here is a place of worship for Baptists. Calybute Downing, a celebrated divine in the seventeenth century, and Gilbert Sheldon, afterwards Archbishop of Canterbury, were rectors of the parish, to which, during his incumbency, the latter presented part of the communion-plate.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire; Oxfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Thame
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Waddesdon
- Poor Law Union: Thame
- Hundred: Ashendon; Ewelme
- Province: Canterbury