Hardwick is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Weedon.
Alternative names: Hardwick and Weedon, Hardwicke
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HARDWICKE, a parish in Aylesbury district, Bucks; on the Buckinghamshire railway, 4 miles NNW of Aylesbury. It includes the hamlet of Weedon; and its post town is Aylesbury. Acres, 3,200. Real property, £6,351. Pop., 708. Houses, 168. The property is divided among a few. The principal farms have been recently purchased by Baron Rothschild, and have been much improved. Lilies House was built on the site of an ancient nunnery; belonged to the late Lord Nugent, who wrote the “Legends of Lilies;” and became the seat of Dr. Connel. There were found in the parish some interesting fossils now in the London Geological museum. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £645. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is ancient and good, with a tower; and has, over the altar, a monument of Sir Thomas Lee, of date 1616. There is a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Aylesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Mursley
- Poor Law Union: Aylesbury
- Hundred: Cottesloe
- Province: Canterbury