Great Kimble is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Marsh and Kimble Wick.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1701
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
- Great Hampden
- Little Hampden
- Stone with Bishopstone
- Stoke Mandeville
- Little Kimble
- Monk’s Risborough
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KIMBLE (GREAT), a parish in Wycombe district, Bucks; on Icknield street, 2¾ miles NE of Princes-Risborough r. station, and 3¼ SW by W of Wendover. It includes the hamlets of Kimble-Wick and Marsh; and has a letter box under Tring. Acres, 2, 473. Real property, £3, 244. Pop. in 1851, 501; in 1861, 408. Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. The parish was anciently called Kunebel; is said to have got that name from Cunobelin or Cymbeline, the British king, whose sons made a brave stand here against the Romans; and contains eminences, called Belinus’ castle, and Belinesbury, where Cunobelin is supposed to have had fortalices or residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £220. Patron, G. H.Hampden, Esq. The church is early English, in very bad condition; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; and contains a Norman font. There are a national school, and charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Wycombe
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Wendover
- Poor Law Union: Wycombe
- Hundred: Aylesbury
- Province: Canterbury