Fenny Stratford is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Buckinghamshire, created in 1730 from a chapelry in Bletchley Parish and Simpson Parish.
Parish church: St Martin
Parish registers begin: 1730
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Fenny Stratford
- Bow Brickhill
- Little Brickhill
- Great Brickhill
Beeton's British Gazetteer 1870
Stratford, Fenny, a market town of England, in Buckinghamshire, 11 miles E. from Buckingham. Post town, Bletchley Station. It has a money ord. off. Manf. Lace. Mar. D. Mon. Pop. 1199. It is a station on the Cambridge, Bedford, and Bletchley branch of the London and North Western Railway.
Source: Beeton's British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STRATFORD (Fenny), a small town, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The town stands on Watling-street, the river Onzel, the Grand Junction canal, and the Cambridge and Bletchley railway, 7 miles S of Newport-Pagnell; nearly adjoins the site of the Roman station Magiovinium; was ravaged by the plague in 1665; is partly in Bletchley parish, and partly in Simpson parish; consists chiefly of two streets; carries on the manufacture of straw-plait and lace; and has a post-office under Bletchley-Station, a r. station, a police station, a church rebuilt in 1724 and enlarged in 1866, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a cemetery of 1864 with two mortuary chapels, a literary institute and reading room, new national schools, charities £13, a weekly corn-market on Monday, and fairs on 19 April, 18 July, 11 Oct., and 28 Nov. The chapelry is regarded as conterminate with the town. Real property, £5,639; of which £2,082 are on the railway, and £15 in gasworks. Pop., 1,199. Houses, 259. The manor belongs to Sir P. D. P. Duncombe, Bart. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £110. Patron, not reported. The sub-district contains 20 parishes, a township, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 31,254. Pop., 10,453. Houses, 2,176.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Stratford-Fenny, 46 miles N. W. London, and 14 N.E. Aylesbury. Mrkt., Mon. P. 1033.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Family History Links
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Newport Pagnell
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1837 - Lincoln, Post-1836 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Newport
- Poor Law Union: Newport Pagnell
- Hundred: Newport
- Province: Canterbury