Dorton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire, created in 1788 from chapelry in Chilton Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Dourton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1694
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1590
- Wotton Underwood
- Brill with Boarstall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DORTON, or Dourton, a parish in the district of Thame and county of Buckingham; near Bernwood forest, 5½ miles N by W of Thame town and r. station. Post town, Brill, under Thame. Acres, 1,431. Real property, £2,514. Pop., 137. Houses, 33. The property is divided among a few. Dorton House belonged to the Aubreys, and passed to the Rickettses. A chaly-beate spa is here; and has been provided with pump-room and baths. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Ashendon, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is old but good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Thame
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1837 - Lincoln, Post-1836 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Waddesdon
- Poor Law Union: Thame
- Hundred: Ashendon
- Province: Canterbury