Dinton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Waldridge, Upton, Moreton, Ford, and Aston Mollins.
Alternative names: Dinton with Ford and Upton, Donnington
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Baptist, General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Aston Sandford
- Stone with Bishopstone
- Little Kimble
- Monk’s Risborough
- Great Kimble
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DINTON, a village and a parish in Aylesbury district, Bucks. The village stands near the river Thame, 4 ½ miles SW of Aylesbury. The parish includes also the hamlets of Aston-Mollins, Ford, Upton, and Waldridge, and the liberty of Moreton; and its post town is Stone, under Aylesbury. Acres, 4,100. Rated property, £5,396. Pop., 814. Houses, 191. The property is divided among a few. The manor-house, recently restored, and now the resideuce of the Goodall family, retains portions of an edifice of the time of Edward the Confessor; was built chiefly by Archbishop Warham, in the time of Henry VIII.; was inhabited by Oliver Cromwell, at the time of Charles I. being at Oxford; belonged to Simon Mayne, the regicide; is associated with the name of James Bigg, “The Dinton hermit,” whom tradition alleges to have been the decapitator of Charles; and possesses curious relics of Cromwell, Mayne, and Bigg, also a fine Anglo-Saxon glass and a jug of Edward IV. dug up in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £529. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; has a south door with spirally shafted pillars and a very curiously sculptured arch; contains a circular Norman font; and is very good. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Aylesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 – Lincoln, Post-1844 – Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, Post-1844 – Mursley
- Poor Law Union: Aylesbury
- Hundred: Ashendon; Aylesbury; Desborough
- Province: Canterbury