DENHAM, a parish in Eton district, Bucks: on the river Colne and the Grand Junction canal, at the boundary with Middlesex, 2 miles NNW of Uxbridge r. station. It has a post office under Uxbridge. Acres, 3,905. Real property, £9,693. Pop., 1,068. Houses, 222. The property is divided among a few. Denham place, a large brick mansion, on the site of an ancient manor-house of the Peckhams, has a fine old chapel, with ancient gilded seats; was built, in 1667, by Sir Roger Hill; was often visited by Captain Cook and Sir Humphrey Davy; and was the residence, in 1836, of Lucien and Joseph Buonaparte. Denham Court, a modernized old moated mansion, the seat of N. Lambert, Esq., belonged to Sir W. Bowyer, the friend of Dryden; gave concealment, under Lady Bowyer’s care, to Charles II.; and was the place where Dryden wrote part of his translation of Virgil. A lime avenue of fully ½ a mile leads to it. Denham is a meet for the Queen’s stag hounds. The. living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £782. Patron, B. H. W. Way, Esq. The church is of the 14th century; was recently restored; is a beautiful structure; and contains monuments of the Peckhams and Sir Roger Hill, and some fine brasses. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £75 from endowment; and other charities £28.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].